Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Hero and the Crown


The Hero and the Crown
by: Robin McKinley

Love it love it love it! This was a precursor to The Blue Sword, also a very good book. What surprised me the most was how different they were. I like parts of this one better, but there are parts of the other book I wouldn't give up either. I don't like the beginning of The Blue Sword, I thought it was like mid-1800's, and then the whole scene and mood changes throughout the book, which I found very confusing.

In The Hero and the Crown I hate how inevitable everything seems to be. She just had to fight the dragon by herself, she just couldn't recover, she had to go up the staircase for centuries, she had to come back at the very last minute. Also, why did king Arlbeth have to die?

I do like how the author handled Aerin's mortal and not-quite-mortal sides, and the fact that Aerin could live a full life and still go back to love Luthe. I was really dreading her final decision.

It would be interesting to read a story continueing this one, where we get to see how strong Aerin's magic really is. Now that I've read this book I want to go back and read The Blue Sword, a lot of things will make more sense. But I still advise that you read the Blue Sword first, then The Hero and the Crown.

1 comment:

Kathy Andersen said...

On the back cover:

Aerin could not remember a time when she had not known the story; she had grown up knowing it.

It was the story of her mother, the witchwoman who enspelled the king into marrying her, to get an heir that would rule Damar; and it was told that she turned her face to the wall and died of despair when she found she had borne a daughter instead of a son.

Aerin was that daughter.

But there was more of the story yet to be told; Aerin's destiny was greater than even she had dreamed - for she was to be the true hero who would weild the power of the Blue Sword...